DAAD Research Ambassadors are scholars and scientists in Australia who have conducted advanced long-term research projects in Germany and are interested in promoting research in Germany at their home universities and among their peers and students.
The main responsibility of a DAAD Research Ambassador is to promote research opportunities in Germany in his/her professional community, university or organisation, and discipline.
This can take the form of:
- Contacting departmental chairs and senior administration officers to share information about study and research opportunities in Germany, including DAAD grants and other organisations' funding programs
- Arranging an informational meeting on campus for students in their department and/or prospective applicants to DAAD programmes
- Providing advice and support to students and researchers interested in pursuing academic activities in Germany in his/her field from any university or institution in Australia – and potentially doing the same for German DAAD grantees currently studying in Australia.
Please note that this is a voluntary post with no compensation available. However, DAAD will make reimbursements available upon request to cover expenses related to production of promotional materials or for refreshments at meetings or informational events.
At the end of each semester, each Research Ambassador is asked to submit short reports to DAAD Australia with any important contacts made and meetings organised.
Are you interested in becoming one of our Research Ambassadors? Our Research Ambassadors
- have completed a total of at least 10 months conducting research in Germany at the doctoral level or above
- are familiar with the current research landscape in Germany for their respective discipline
- are willing and able to attend an anual DAAD Research Ambassadors Training Workshop in Sydney.
Scholars and scientists from all disciplines are invited to apply. Applications will be accepted from all "Germany Alumni", including DAAD alumni. German nationals who studied in Germany at the doctoral level but are now living and researching in Australia are also welcome to apply.
Research Ambassador terms are for two academic years, and can be renewed. Travel arrangements for the anual Research Ambassadors Training Workshop are covered by DAAD.
The next application round will be in 2021.